Sunday 14 January 2018

We were in the way..................




Police and harassment warning .......... We had been advised by our solicitors to log each and every incident of harassment, as by doing so it would form a larger picture of what was actually taking place, as harassment is a course of conduct.    Our smallholding is quite isolated with no-one to witness what was taking place, so I decided to keep diaries as well as a log of all incidents.  I recorded the date we reported incidents to the police, which officers visited, when they visited, what was said and the outcomes. It became a regular feature in my life as there were incidents almost each and every day from name calling, filming us on our way in and out, friends being intimidated when visiting, deliberately jamming the gates making it impossible to come in, common assaults, criminal damage to our property, and so on....

Given that the Thomases had already abused and threatened two families before us, due to them making complaints about the unauthorised industrial activities, and forced them out due to threats, and were now repeating this same behaviour towards us, it was pretty shocking and deeply troubling that the local police appeared to be taking a side - that of our neighbours, in much the same way as Carmarthen council officers.

The police keep records of all incidents logged with them and these are called 'storm reports'.  At the time of my first formal warning for harassment of my neighbours in March 2005 - we had logged twelve incidents including the Thomases following Eddie to work - taking his picture and being abusive to him.  When the police visited us the evening of the day the Thomases had followed Eddie to work, I thought they were going to inform us that they had warned the Thomases to leave us alone.   That didn't happen - instead, unbelievably, I was warned under the Harassment Act.  It came as a bolt out of the blue, and very frightening, as I knew instinctively that for the police to warn me for harassment was very wrong as not only had we logged several incidents of daily harassment - the neighbours had not logged one!  They hadn't logged any incidents simply because we had not participated in any behaviour that would have warranted any form of allegation to the police.  So why was I being warned under the harassment act and for what?.  I asked the officer what was I being warned for.  He mumbled something about 'filming.'  He clearly didn't have a clue what he was warning me for.  He had just been told to do it!! I later found out that the filming he had referred to was the filming I had carried for the council of the numbers of HGVs being run in and out of Blaenpant proving that a haulage business was indeed operating.

The countless incidents of horrendous intimidation we had suffered were ignored by the police, much in the same way as the countless complaints from many locals and ourselves regarding the Thomases unauthorised activities, were ignored by Carmarthen Council.  They were acting against us in identical fashion.

My prosecution for the assault which took place in July 2005, was to be heard in February 2006.

The disruption to our quality of life continued with another planning application in 2005 for conversion of a cowshed into the 'farm office'.  The portacabin which had acted as the haulage business's office obviously wasn't suitable any longer as the haulage business was expanding. The incessant noise from quarrying which so was debilitating continued with rock constantly being loaded onto lorries and taken off - probably to be sold - or given away???   This was to make way for more sheds and to create space for the haulage lorries and related activities.  Our life here was untenable.

Second harassment warning.....

Prior to my court appearance, I was given a second warning under the harassment act.  I had objected to the council over the unauthorised removal of asbestos from the neighbouring building and was told to provide evidence.  I took a photograph to show to the Environment Agency and for my trouble came this second warning for harassment. How could this be when I had been asked for this evidence?

Again - it is odd the police should warn me again, as the neighbours had not logged one official complaint, they had simply told a local police officer I had taken a picture of the removal of asbestos.   Harassment is a course of conduct - not one incident simply mentioned to a police officer.  This was feeling like a witchhunt and was most convenient for the local CPS because as I was now being subjected to pretrial court appearances (three of them) the local CPS could now rely on the two warnings for harassment to thoroughly discredit me.  This didn't bode well for me. I was acutely aware there was something terribly sinister in what was taking place.  A local journalist who had been following my case voiced his own personal concerns to me that something was very wrong here!

The harassment and intimidation towards us and now our friends continued without intervention from the police. Friends were now being filmed by Karen Thomas when visiting - Eddie had been assaulted by Andrew Thomas in the right of way (on CCTV) reported to the police - my support lady from Victim Support was also filmed and menacingly stared at when visiting me and had written a letter saying she felt too intimidated to visit me anymore at home  - reported to the police - Andrew Thomas had tried to run us off the road in one of his HGVs - reported to the police - Andrew Thomas had paid a visit to Eddie's place of work demanding information on him and been abusive to one of the company's employees - Karen Thomas had rung Eddie's office and was abusive to staff - all reported to the police.  The Thomases would sing 'Two little boys had two little toys' ' every time Eddie left home and every evening arriving home (he looks a little like Rolf Harris) We were whistled at - clapped at - sworn at - still no intervention by the police and still no incidents logged by the neighbours against us.  By the time of the court hearing on February 06, the neighbours had not logged any incidents against us.  By comparison, we had now logged too many to mention.

There was something very wrong with how the police were behaving towards us.  Their conduct was so similar to that of Carmarthen Council's one could be forgiven for believing they were one and the same organisation.  The constant blaming of us - the constant denials the Thomases were at fault in any way.  No action was taken against them for criminal activities by the police nor breaches of planning regulations by the council.    We were in the way!!

7th. February 2006   Court Hearing...................

The evidence from the Thomases was totally contradictory with many discrepancies.  It was surprising that the case brought, but I knew why this was happening.  I believed the whole case was about discrediting me on behalf of the council.  I knew too much and was making waves that were uncomfortable. I knew I was going to be found guilty after all this was the plan. I was prepared for that outcome.  I immediately asked my solicitor to lodge an appeal...............

My solicitor was called over by the CPS solicitor who was prosecuting and informed him to advise me that if I appealed he would bring further charges against me. I was stunned.  I knew he had no evidence to bring any further charges against me as no allegations had been made to the police. I asked what charges he would be bringing. 

Charges of harassment were going to be next!  This was very interesting as again official reports to the police had to be registered and acknowledged as a course of conduct to enable any charges to be brought against someone.  This wasn't the case here as no accusations had been made - at all!   I advised my solicitor I wouldn't be blackmailed by a CPS solicitor into accepting the charge of assault and I wished for him to continue with my appeal.  I received a phone call that same evening from my solicitor advising me to drop my appeal. I was shocked that my solicitor was accepting of this form of blackmail.  I advised him that I found this to be extraordinary and I most certainly wished for him to take my instructions and continue with my appeal.   Lo and behold I received a letter from my solicitor two days later, again, advising me to 'horsetrade'. 'Drop my appeal and the CPS will not pursue me for harassment'.

Well well....something is terribly amiss.  I will appeal and the CPS will just have to bring those charges of harassment against me, won't they!








4 comments:

  1. Your solicitor has failed you and I expect you had to pay for this.
    It looks as if he was not only paid by you but also your opposition.
    I think you might get help from the Llanelli MP Nia Griffith I think
    her name is. Your circumstances are dreadful and you have all the evidence she would need to take this on. She probably knows something about it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My solicitor certainly failed me, and yes it did cost me money. The situation we were facing due to Carmarthen council's misconduct was eating into the monies we had saved for our cattery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your MP could take an interest in the actions of the police and even raise concerns in Parliament regarding their lack of impartiality and what appears to be their own harassment of you. Surely the CPS was acting outside its remit by making threats of more of the same should you appeal (we have a right to appeal only a judge decides whether you can or not). There is something very nasty and rotten in the "woodshed" that is Carmarthenshire County Council (CCC), Dyfed Powys Police and the CPS which needs exposing to the light. I'm sure if you didn't have evidence you would not have started this blog. Basically it's wrong that the CCC can act against us with such impunity safe in the knowledge that other Agencies/Public Bodies even the Welsh Government will willingly risk their own reputations to protect its wrongdoing from being exposed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have much evidence as I kept my own detailed log of everything, plus detailed diaries and filmed evidence. Christopher Salmon and the Chief Constable were aware of this evidence, hence the all encompassing public apology. The apology made very clear that I had been severely let down by authorities - plural. CCC were absolutely to blame for everything that took place. If it hadn't been for the corruption in planning the police would never have become involved. So who was wagging the tail of the dog?

    ReplyDelete