Sunday 14 May 2017


April/May 04..............Contacting the Council



Being on my own with Eddie working and living in Sussex, plus the constant noise from Blaenpant's haulage business activities, I was left feeling a little vulnerable.  The daily commotion emanating from next door was beginning to affect my desire to spend time outside. I have always been a person who preferred being outside more than in, and I had many tasks that needed tending to. I have always loved gardening and with the weather improving I was looking forward to creating an area for growing vegetables.  I was feeling very let down by Ms. Gifford, as she clearly knew the very reasons which had forced her to sell up were going to affect us in the same way.  I knew by now that I (as others before me) would find this daily disturbance to my life intolerable if it was to become permanent.  If this particular industrial type of business was allowed to continue, this was going to affect every aspect of our daily lives and would be miserable.   We had bought a cottage in the countryside for peace and enjoyment - to enjoy - not to be listening to, and looking out onto, industrial operations.   Our pre-purchase searches showed Blaenpant to be a farm, there was no disclosure of an industrial business.  Our seller had told us the owners of Blaenpant did not farm but were horse breeders.  That was true at least, there was no sign of any farming, only an equine business and a haulage business!.   One would only expect this type of industrial activity on an industrial park. The noise from the neighbours would most certainly affect our plans for the barn conversion into two holiday lets.    As the days drew out, the noise went on for longer periods.



The neighbours horses, of which there were many, were somehow still managing to escape from their paddock onto my land time and again.  I felt this was odd as the paddock which separated our two properties was extremely well fenced with solid post and rail which looked to be new.  After it happening once, one would expect the broken fence or whatever the problem was, would be immediately rectified.  It clearly wasn't, and the Thomases, as I will now call them, would just walk onto my property to collect them, without knocking on my door or calling out to me!  This was an added worry, because having been around horses for a number of years, to allow horses to keep escaping is irresponsible and not the norm.  It also concerned me that the Thomases appeared to be taking advantage of someone living on their own by not addressing the problem with their fencing.  Something was telling me that this might be deliberate, but I couldn't fathom out why this would be.  I was beginning to feel a little paranoid regarding this, as to locate and repair an area of broken fence would be a simple excercise.  I remember one night in particular, it was late, I was in bed, alone in the cottage, when I heard voices outside.  It was the neighbours from next door, again, collecting their horses.  This was feeling pretty alarming now, especially as they knew I was on my own, and would know this would be scary for most people, hearing strange voices on their property, particularly at night.


Friends were keeping me company and helping with the outside chores which would have been far more enjoyable if it was minus the din from next door.  The old, supposed, disused quarry, now seemed to be the focus of the neighbours activities, with rock being cleared away in earnest.  A JCB with a pecker was being used at the weekends and the din was unbearable. Their lorries would be loaded up and driven away.

However, with friends and the council's own planning officer advising me to contact the local authority, I thought maybe it was time to speak to them.  I rang Brian Canning, the Enforcement Manager and asked if this could be off the record.   I informed him that I had been told by two officers, one from Carmarthen Council and another from Countryside Council for Wales, that due to this haulage business next door, two families had been forced to move away from here, and I didn't wish to be the third.   I explained that the impact from this business upon this property was impossible to live with, and it was not surprising problems had occurred here.  As there were at least eight lorries operating from the farm, and other activities associated with the haulage business, it was seriously impacting upon our quality of life too.  By this time I'd heard more about Blaenpant and that what they were doing was wrong. I'd also heard that if someone uses a farm for anything other than agriculture, they must apply for 'change of use'.   All of this was new to me.
I believed that as the council were aware of the history of the problems here, they would act upon this information.  Mr. Canning said they did not have permission to be running a haulage business, and that he would certainly look into it.  I felt relieved that I had passed on my concerns and I could relax in the knowledge the council would now deal with it.  It was out of my hands.  I did not want to make enemies of my neighbours, and I did not want to confront them, as the two previous owners of our cottage had done. I was on my own and aware of what they had suffered.   I believed the council would now take on the responsibility.   It was not for me to become embroiled in a neighbours unauthorised business, this was for the council to resolve.


 

A few weeks had passed, nothing had changed, and I'd heard nothing from the council.  I spoke to Brian Canning again, telling him I was concerned about my neighbour knowing I had complained, so I hoped my phone calls would be in the strictest confidence.  He said they would have to monitor Blaenpant but hadn't found the time as yet. I'm remembering our conversation with the Thomases and their subtle (or not so subtle) warnings about 'complaining' and my feeling of unease was growing.

Not a good outlook

To add to my worries the Thomases had put in their application for a shed, and when I looked at the plans it was directly opposite and within forty meters of our small cottage!  The size would be overbearing and would tower over us.  I contacted Ceri Davies regarding this application, to be advised again by him, 'not to worry', 'they will not get permission'.  He was the officer responsible for this area and he would most certainly not be recommending this for approval!  He went on to say that in his opinion, they were getting inside information as they had applied for the largest shed possible they would be entitled to, that is, if they were given permission. Mr. Davies was adamant they would not get permission as they were not agricultural, and this was an agricultural shed, that his appraisal had covered every aspect in it's refusal.  I expressed my deep concerns, and that I really didn't want to have to put in an objection.   He put my mind at rest when he added that 'even if they put a flock of sheep on their land it would not make any difference as the council knew what they were doing'.  Thank god!

The plans were now being drawn up for the cattery and we were pressing ahead with that side of things. Still trying to be positive believing that the council would in time resolve our seemingly  growing problem.  I also decided to contact my local councillor Mr. Rhys Davies for if nothing else, moral support.











No comments:

Post a Comment